Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Relationally-Focused

By Latonya Jordan

I had the privilege recently of watching my children play during recess at school. I watched many children who were playing with other kids, some playing make-believe, some playing soccer, and other children who were all alone. At many points in my life, I was just like each of those children.

Relationships are especially important to me. I have come to realize that I need them even more than when I was younger and had the support of my family.

Over the last 8 years, my approach to relationships has changed. I am purposeful about with whom and how I spend my time. After moving to Fort Worth 15 years ago, I developed friendships easily at work and at church. When I left the workforce to be a stay-at-home mom, I realized I had no friends who were contemporaries. I started attending a weekly Bible study and joined a mom’s group for the sole purpose of developing relationships with like-minded women who loved the Lord and wanted to be comforted, inspired, and understood.

My approach to relationships is changing again. A friend of my husband recently told him that he felt there were so many Christians out there who are “a mile wide but only and inch deep.” I now feel the need for deeper relationships, those which contain a greater depth, acceptance, and Christ-like love.


Tell us your take below...

No comments: